Children who grow up in poverty face tough challenges such as hunger, malnutrition, limited access to education & medical services, social discrimination, violence, lack of housing facilities. But it doesn’t have to be that way, we can reach out to marginalized children in need, empowering them, inspiring them, bringing smiles and making them future ready. Together, we can transform the lives of most of the children in poverty.
CHILDREN IN POVERTY
According to Poverties.org, “Nearly all possible effects of poverty have an impact on children’s lives”. This translates into child abuse and neglect, mobility, homelessness and exposition to drugs and alcohol. Children born into poor families are also likely to stay poor throughout their lives.
But poverty does not only affect children in the shape of external factors. Children are often born underweight, which, according to the Center for the Future of Children, is “the key risk factor for infant mortality”. This, in addition to the parents’ low educational level, leads to kids who enter school behind their peers and fail to level out throughout their academic career ⎯in case they finish it. Statistics show that high-school students coming from poor families are more likely to drop out than their non-poor peers. Children who live in poverty are also at a greater risk of experiencing emotional and behavioural problems.
Ways to help children:
Millions of children around the world lack access to basic necessities, such as food, clean water, sanitation, shelter, education, books, medicine, fun, family, laughter, love – but there is hope. You can help poor children have a better future in several ways. Volunteering your time and efforts to children can make a very big impact. You could also raise money or donate goods to charity. No effort is too small or too large to make.
- Tuition’s to underprivileged children: You can help struggling students succeed in school by donating your time or money as a tutor. Tutor children in reading, spelling, writing, current events, cursive, Algebra, Math, Science, History, English etc.,
- Hold a clothes and books drive: New clothes, books, and toys can make a big difference in their life. Collect school supplies, shoes, books, coats, sweaters etc.
- Sponsor a child who could not afford school fees: For a small monthly donation, you can help one child pay for food, school, medicine, and clothes.
Raising money for charity:
- Decide what type of aid you want to give. Money can go a long way in helping a charity reach out to poor children, but you should think about where you want your money to go to. Many charities allow you the option to choose how to spend the money. You can decide to send your money towards: Food, Clean water,School tuition and fees,Medical care,Books and toys,Clothes,Shelter,Supporting an orphanage
- Choose a respected children’s cause to support: There are many different children’s charities. Some are focused towards a specific cause, such as education or healthcare. Others are for the general welfare of children
- Publicize your cause: encourage other people to donate as well.
- Sell goods: One great way to raise money for children is to sell something and give the proceeds to charity.
- Crowdfund donations: Crowdfunding platforms allow you to set up a special page to raise money for a non-profit of your choice.
With your support:
- Kids receive life-changing benefits like proper food, clothing, medical care, educational support, life skills.
- Kids will be encouraged, motivated and inspired in life to help others as well.
- Lives of children changes – for good.